Note: Failure to complete and sign forms could result in delay of reimbursement.
It is University policy that all travel should be economy/coach class and the traveler should always purchase the lowest airfare available. Travelers using Federal funds or grant money are required to use U.S. air carriers or their affiliates.
The campus travel agent is Carlson Wagonlit Travel, and airfare can be charged directly to UC accounts so the traveler does not need to purchase and then be reimbursed. For more information, see: http://controller.berkeley.edu/travel/TravelAgency/index.htm.
The University has negotiated special rates with a number of hotels, car rental agencies, and local airport parking. Check with your department for applicable car rental agreements.
Travel Expense Claim Form
Once travel is completed, please fill out the travel expense reimbursement form. It can only be processed with receipts, travel information, and the traveler's signature on the form.
Required Items/Backup. You will need to provide the following:
- Original receipts (such as cancelled check, credit card statement, store receipt, or cash receipt)
- For details of travel reimbursement-related policies, please visit: http://controller.berkeley.edu/travel/index.htm.
- Details of meals, lodging, and per diem can be found at: http://controller.berkeley.edu/travel/MealsLodging/index.htm.
- Specifics of mileage reimbursements are discussed at: http://controller.berkeley.edu/travel/Car/MileageReimburse.htm#RatesMileageReimburse.
- The Travel Reimbursement Form should be completed within 10 days of the conclusion of travel, and no more than a year after, due to campus policies.
- Business purpose description
- Signature verification
- Appropriate department authorization
- For domestic travel, there is no per diem for meals and incidentals. There is an allowable amount, but receipts for meals must accompany reimbursement request.
- Per diem for foreign travel can be found at: http://aoprals.state.gov/content.asp?content_id=184&menu_id=78.
- If a private car was used the traveler will need to provide the vehicle license plate number, exact mileage, and whether liability insurance is carried on the car. Current rate (effective January 1, 2011) is $.51/mile.
Lost Receipts. If receipts are lost, the traveler is required to provide a written explanation to be included with the paperwork being submitted to the UC travel office.
Return a hard copy of the completed form to your department for authorization. After the form has received the appropriate authorizations, it will be routed to the financial unit.